Saturday, July 12, 2008

Pick A Problem, Any Problem

"For scientists, intellectual delight comes from discovery."

Here's an open question to scientists...

If you had to choose a problem outside your field to work on, what would it be? (Don't argue with the premise of the question; play along. And, no, skipping from astrophysics to particle physics doesn't count.)

I am already fighting the urge to name any number of other problems related to cognitive neuroscience (my field, more or less), such as Alzheimer's, mental illness, cognitive rehabilitation, comprehensive assessment of neuropharmacological effects...

Would you default to one of the big problems that receive a lot of media attention - global warming, energy crisis, crime/aggression - or do you already have a passion for something besides the problems you are currently working on? I'm curious, in part, to know how much of a scientist's motivation comes from the personal significance of the topic s/he is studying, and how much is curiosity, plain and simple. How far does that curiosity transfer? How much is personal passion relevant for dedicated and productive science?

If someone told me I had to work on the global warming problem, could I get engaged enough in the research to do anything productive?

By the way, I don't have an answer to my own question yet. I keep trying to find ways to justify naming other problems related to cognitive science. ;) I'll add a postscript when I decide on an answer.

No comments: