Thursday, May 8, 2008

An Instance of the Fingerpost

I have a penchant for historical fiction, especially when it involves historical science. Right now I am rereading An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears (1997), which I thoroughly enjoyed for the first time several years ago. Every so often though I have to stop and process the mental equivalent of 'Gaaah!!'. The story takes place in the mid-17th century and involves quite a bit of 'scientific' discussion and exploration. That would be 'scientific' in the very nascent stages of the word.

I think that at some point we all succumb to the perception that those who went before us and believed a great many things that we now consider to be superstitious bunk were somehow less intelligent than we are. This book, however, does an excellent job of showing how intelligent people lived and reasoned in a world ruled by now-antiquated ideas. It's actually rather scary at times.

I recently observed a 'cult-book meme' making its way through the blogosphere. If there were a list of 'cult fiction for scientists', I would nominate An Instance of the Fingerpost. And as I'm always interested in a good book, I'll now shamelessly solicit your nominations - What work of fiction captured something about science that left an impression on you?

Post-script (about 14 hours after original post) - Ask and ye shall receive. Here's what I would add to that list...

An Instance of the Fingerpost, by Iain Pears (1997)
The Time Machine, by H.G. Wells (1895)
The Origin, by Irving Stone (1980)

(I warned you... science in the days of yore.)

No comments: